In order to receive push notifications an employee must have the app installed and must have logged in at least once.
If you are sending an employee a push notification and they aren't receiving it, yet you can see it in your message log, then it's likely that the employee hasn't given permission to receive the message.
When an employee installs and opens the app for the first time they will get a pop-up asking for permission to get push notifications. If an employee deny's this request, they will not receive push notifications.
Here is an example of the notification received on an iOS device.
If the employee didn't receive the message or denied it, here are steps on how they can enable notifications for Buddy Punch.
Please know, there may be slight variations in the settings menu names, depending on your model of Android, but the overall process is the same no matter what type of phone you're using as long as it is running Android 9.0.
- Open the Applications settings from the general settings menu on your phone. On some phones, you may need to look for Apps & Notifications on the list.
- Find the Buddy Punch app and tap it to open its settings.
- In the next window, tap the section labeled Notifications to enter the app's notifications settings.
- You'll see all the different notification categories. Any change to a category affects every notification of that type, no matter where or from who it originates. An Alarm is an important thing so we'll look to make sure it's set up as our example. Tap the entry to open the Alarms notifications category settings.
- A window titled Behavior will open. Here you can choose if you want to hear a sound or if you would like the notification to "peek" at you while you're doing something else.
- The window will close once you've made a selection.
- Next, tap the field labeled Advanced and the page will expand.
- Here you can choose the notification's tone if you enabled sound, decide if your phone should vibrate when a notification of this type arrives, if any LED should blink or light up, if the notification should appear on your lock screen, and most importantly if it should override your Do Not Disturb settings. You can mix and match these settings however you like to fit you best.
- On the home screen or in the app drawer, long press on the app whose notifications you want to alter.
- In the pop-up window that appears, tap the Info icon, represented by a lowercase “i.” This will take you to the App Info page.
- Tap App Notifications.
- From this screen, you can enable or disable all notifications for the app (represented by the on/off switch at the top), enable or disable notification dots for the app, or specifically choose which types of notifications you’d like to see from the app.
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Select the Buddy Punch app and you’ll get options to block its notifications, show them silently, display them on the lock screen, or override Do Not Disturb mode.
- Touch the On The Lock Screen option for additional choices. This allows you to show all notification content, hide sensitive content, or not show these notifications at all.
Android 5.0 and Above
- Swipe down from the status bar, then press the gear icon at the top. This allows you to quickly open general settings.
- With settings open, tap “Sound & Notification.”
- You will then want to click on "App Notifications" and scroll to find the Buddy Punch app.
- In the Buddy Punch app notification settings, you can allow notifications.
Android 4.1 and Above
- Tap Settings to open Android Settings.
- In Android settings tap on the App option to open Android application management.
- Now find and tap the Buddy Punch app to open the app info page.
- On the app info page, just below the Force stop and Uninstall button, you will see the option to Show notification. Just check the option and relaunch Buddy Punch to start receiving notifications.
- Tap the Settings icon on your home screen.
- Scroll down and select the Buddy Punch app from the list of installed applications.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Allow Notifications to enable the setting. Notifications are enabled when the switch is slid to the right and green.
Please Note: If an employee uninstalls the app, they will no longer receiver push notifications. If an employee force closes the app, they will still receive push notifications. The app does not have to be running and they don't need to be logged in to receive the notification.