Overview: The Quickbooks Online integration is a direct integration that requires some setup. Sync time on demand when you're ready to process payroll or setup auto-run.
Important Notes: In order to use the Quickbooks Online integration, you'll need an Online Essentials, Plus, or Advanced account. If you're not sure which version of QuickBooks Online you're using, follow these steps to find out:
- In your QuickBooks account, go to the Gear icon at the top.
- Select Account and Settings.
- Choose Billing & Subscription.
- You can then check the Plan details of your Quickbooks Online account.
Quickbooks Online Integration Setup
1. To integrate with Quickbooks Online, you'll want to start by going to Settings --> Integrations:
2. Then click the Integrate with Quickbooks Online button:
3. Once on the integration page, click Connect to Quickbooks:
4. You'll then be asked to sign in to your Quickbooks Online account. After you've signed in, you'll then be prompted to connect to Buddy Punch. Click the Connect button:
5. Once connected, you'll be taken back to the integration page where you'll see that you're now connected to Quickbooks Online:
Matching Employee ID's:
Now that you're connected to Quickbooks Online, you will want to sync your employees. Employees in Buddy Punch and in QuickBooks Online must have the same Employee ID number. This is what allows our system to determine where time needs to be sent.
1. To find the Employee ID in Quickbooks, start by clicking Payroll from the left-hand menu followed by Employees:
2. You'll then want to click Edit next to an employees name:
3. Once the employee information form populates, you'll either want to enter a new Employee ID or copy the existing one:
4. You'll then want to take that Employee ID, visit the profile for the user in Buddy Punch, and add that ID to the Employee Id area:
Repeat the process for every employee who you need to sync time for.
5. Once you've entered the Employee ID for all users, you'll then want to sync them. You can do this by going to Settings --> Integrations --> Integrate with Quickbooks Online. Once on the integration page, click Sync Employees.
Once you click on that Sync button you'll be presented with a list of synced employees. You'll want to ensure the Buddy Punch Employee Id and Quickbooks Online Employee Number match. If any employees did not sync that you were expecting to, make sure to verify their Employee ID in both systems.
Transfer Employee Time to Quickbooks Online
1. To sync time with Quickbooks Online, you'll want to start by going to Settings --> Integrations --> Integrate with Quickbooks Online and then click on the Export to Quickbooks Online option:
2. You'll then want to enter the dates you'd like to transfer time for. Most often, you will enter your pay period dates here. Click Search to populate all hours for that timeframe. Once you've had a chance to review those hours, click Export to Quickbooks Online:
Please note that time will only transfer once. You cannot transfer the same time more than once.
3. Once the transfer is completed, you'll be taken back to the Quickbooks Integration page and will receive a confirmation message:
4. To validate what time was transferred, click the View Export History button:
View Employee Time in Quickbooks Online
1. To view transferred time in Quickbooks, start by clicking Reports from the left-hand menu. You'll want to use the search bar to find the Time Activities by Employee Detail report:
2. Here you will find all employee time that's been transferred:
Please note: If you find that time is missing, ensure that the dates you run the report on match the dates you entered when exporting from Buddy Punch to Quickbooks.
Quickbooks Online Limitations
Buddy Punch is only able to send the time activities to QuickBooks Online. Due to a limitation on the QuickBooks side, we cannot export the hours into Regular time and Overtime hours. To help you quickly determine how to split the time, we recommend using the Payroll Export. This report breaks down types of time in a way that is easy to understand:
Employees have to be manually matched and do not import at this time, the employee ID is what matches the employee.
Additionally, we do not support accounts with Full-Service Payroll added.
Q: Which versions of QuickBooks Online do you support?
A: We support Quickbooks Essentials, Plus, and Advanced. We do not support plans that use Full Service Payroll.
To view this full article outside of the chat window, please click here.