Overview: Step-by-step instructions on how to automatically punch an employee out when the overtime alert triggers.
Connecting to Zapier
1. You will want to start by connecting Buddy Punch to Zapier. You can do this from within your Buddy Punch account by going to Settings --> Integrations and clicking Integrate with Zapier:
2. On the next page, you will find Zapier Templates. You will want to find the "Punch in Buddy Punch employees from new inbound emails to a specific inbox" option and click the "Use this Zap" button to the right of it:
3. You'll be presented with a pop up where you can either create a Zapier account or log in to an existing account. Note: A Zapier account is required in order to use this zap:
4. You should automatically be brought to a page that looks like the one below. Please move onto the next section regarding the Zap setup:
Setting up the Zap
1. To start, you will need to add a customized inbound email. You can enter anything you'd like here. Click "Continue" once done:
2. Next, you will want to send a test email to the Zapier email address you've created. Once sent, you can then test the trigger:
3. After testing your trigger, data should have been pulled in based on the test email you sent. Once you've reviewed the data, click "Continue" to move on to the next step:
4. Now moving on to the Buddy Punch side of things. The App and Action event should be automatically filled for you with "Buddy Punch" and "Punch In." Once you've confirmed that, click "Continue."
5. Next, you need to choose your Buddy Punch account. If you've logged into a Buddy Punch account for previous zaps, then your information will be available from the dropdown list. Otherwise, sign in to Buddy Punch using your account credentials. Click "Continue" once done:
6. You'll then need to customize the punch. The only required field is the User. This particular zap can only be set up for one employee at a time, so please choose the name of the employee you'd like the zap to trigger for from the dropdown. Click "Continue" once done:
7. To test the zap, you'll want to ensure the user you've chosen from the dropdown list in the step above is currently punched out in Buddy Punch. Once they're punched out, click the "Test & Continue" button.
8. The employee that was punched out should now be punched in, in Buddy Punch:
9. Once you've tested the zap and it's successful, you'll then want to add a filter to ensure the zap only triggers when the punch in reminder email is received. Start by creating an Administrator in Buddy Punch with the Zapier Email created during Step 1.
You can do this by clicking Employees in the top navigation followed by +Add a New Employee. Once they've been added as an employee, go to Settings --> Administrators and upgrade the user.
This can also be done for a Manager account, but we recommend using an Administrator since they are free users:
10. You'll then want to set up an email punch in reminder specifically for Administrators and assign it to the employee you're using in the zap. You can do this by going to Settings --> Alerts & Reminders:
11. You will now want to go back into your newly created zap and click the + button located between the Zapier Email and Buddy Punch app:
12. Then click the "Filter" option:
13. Under the "Filter Setup & Testing" you'll want to choose Only Continue If: Subject > (Text Exactly matches) > and then you'll need to enter the following text "Punch In Reminder For "Employee Name" ("Name of Punch In Reminder")
In this example, we'll be entering Allen Masterson (Punch In Reminder | Allen Masterson)
If you're not sure what the name of your punch in reminder is, you can check in Buddy Punch by going to Settings --> Alerts & Reminders.
14. Click "Continue" followed by "Done Editing" and turn on your zap.
Now, whenever the punch in reminder triggers for an employee in Buddy Punch, they will automatically be punched in. You'll need to repeat the same process for other employees.
Q. Can I create the zap for multiple employees at once?
A. No, a zap will need to be created for each individual employee, however, you can copy the zap and only edit the necessary fields.