Overview: Step-by-step instructions on creating Buddy Punch employees from new Google Sheet rows with the help of Zapier.
Google Sheet Setup
1. To start, you will first need to create a Google Sheet with the following columns:
2. You will also want to name your Google Sheet as well as the worksheet. In this example, we named our Google Sheet "Zapier Employee List" and the worksheet "Add New Employee."
Connecting to Zapier
1. Next, you will want to connect Buddy Punch to Zapier. You can do this from within your Buddy Punch account by going to Settings --> Integrations and click Integrate with Zapier:
2. On the next page, you will find Zapier Templates. You will want to find the "Create Buddy Punch employees from new Google Sheets rows" option and click the "Use this Zap" button to the right of it:
3. You'll be presented with a pop up where you can either create a Zapier account or log in to an existing account. Note: A Zapier account is required in order to use this zap:
4. You should automatically be brought to a page that looks like the one below. Please move onto the next section regarding the Zap setup:
Setting up the Buddy Punch & Google Sheets Zap
1. To start, you will want to click the "Sign in to Google Sheets" button. Please login to the account that you added the Google Sheet under in the prework step:
2. Once your Google Sheets account is added, click the "Continue" button.
3. Next, you will need to customize the spreadsheet row. For the Spreadsheet selection, please select the spreadsheet created during the prework step. In this example, we're using the "Zapier Employee List" spreadsheet.
4. You also need to select the Worksheet you'll be pulling information from. Here we're using "Add New Employee."
5. Click the "Continue" button once you've made your selection.
6. To test your Zap, you will want to go back to your Google Spreadsheet and add some test data. Once done, come back to Zapier and click the "Test trigger" button:
7. After your zap has been tested, any found data will be populated. You can click "Continue" when you're ready to move onto the next step:
8. You'll now be moving onto configuring the Buddy Punch side of things. The App and Action event will be auto-populated for you, so no need to make changes. Click the "Continue" button when ready to move on:
9. Next, you need to link your Buddy Punch account. Start by clicking the "Sign in to Buddy Punch" button. You'll be prompted to sign into Buddy Punch - you'll want to enter the same username/password as you would when signing into the Buddy Punch website:
10. Once your account has been linked, it will show up in the dropdown list. Click the "Continue" button when ready:
11. In this step, you'll be customizing employee information. For each dropdown, select the corresponding Google Sheet column. For example, the username would match with the username column from Google Sheets. If you don't see an option, such as under Is Active, click the Custom option. After you've assigned Google Sheet information to each dropdown click "Continue."
12. As a final step, you will want to test your zap which you can do by clicking the "Test & Continue" button. Please know, this will create a user in Buddy Punch using the testing data entered into the Google Spreadsheet. This user can be deleted.
13. If the test was successful, you will receive a notification stating as such and the new test employee will be in your Buddy Punch account. Don't forget to click the "Turn on Zap" button and your zap will automatically run when new employee information is added to the spreadsheet:
Please note: When adding employees using this method, the Welcome Email will be sent out whether the employee is marked as active or inactive.
Q: Can I stop the Welcome Email from sending when adding a new employee?
A: No, there currently isn't an option to stop the Welcome Email from sending when adding a new employee. You can temporarily use a different email, such as your own, to redirect the Welcome Email. You can then update the employee's email once they're added in Buddy Punch.