Overview: If you miss your payroll deadline, want to pay an employee manually outside of the normal pay date, or report past manual pay, this can be done using the off-cycle payroll.
Important: If you miss your payroll approval deadline and would rather not pay employees manually, you can simply move your pay date forward as needed via the Settings --> Pay Periods page.
Change Payment Method
When running a manual payroll, the first thing is to change employee payment methods to check instead of direct deposit.
1. Start by clicking Payroll in the top navigation, followed by People.
2. On the People page, click View next to the name of an employee whose payment method you need to change:
3. You will then want to click Update next to Onboard Status:
4. Click Payment Method from the left-hand menu and then Change Payment Method:
5. You will then want to choose the By cash or paper check option and click Continue:
6. You'll need to verify that you do want to pay the employee via check and complete the process.
Repeat for any employee you want to pay manually.
Run Off-Cycle Payroll
1. To run an off-cycle/manual payroll, click Payroll in the top navigation, followed by Run Payroll.
2. Click the Off-Cycle Payroll Options button:
3. From there, you can specify the dates you're paying for, the pay date and whether you want to:
Tax all earnings as supplemental earnings
Apply pre-tax deductions
Click Create Off Cycle Payroll when done:
Important: When you run an off-cycle payroll, employee pay is not automatically populated based on the pay period dates selected. You will still have to manually enter pay information. We recommend entering pay as additional earnings to ensure taxes are still applied. You can use the amounts displayed on the Run Payroll page to determine the amount to enter.
4. Once pay information has been entered, select the Preview Payroll button and then the Submit payroll button as a final step.
You can then run the Payroll Journal or Summary on your pay date to determine the net amount owed to each employee. These reports can be found by going to Payroll --> Reports.
Q: Do I need to process a manual payroll if I miss the payroll deadline?
A: No, you are not required to process a manual payroll but can instead push your payment date forward as needed.