Overview: The Gusto integration is done through an export/import process. This means when it's time to process payroll, you'll export a Gusto-specific file and then upload it into their system.
Gusto Integration Setup
1. To enable the Gusto integration, start by going to Settings --> Integrations:
2: You'll then want to choose the Gusto Settings button:
3. Check the box next to Enable integration with Gusto. You'll then want to map your earning codes accordingly and click Save once done.
Important: Regular/OT/DBT are all mapped automatically. For time off codes, we can only map Sick and Vacation hours.
Gusto prefers to handle time off via their time off policies so for other time off types you'll need to create paid time off policies within their system if you haven't already: https://support.gusto.com/article/999756591000000/Manage-time-off-policies#:~:text=Create%20a%20holiday%20pay%20policy,your%20company's%20paid%20federal%20holidays.
Map Location/Department Codes
1. To enable and set up this feature, check the box on the Gusto integration page next to Use Multiple pay rates, Gusto Titles must match a Buddy Punch: and select whether you'd like to map Locations, Department Code Names or Department Code Payroll Code:
1b. Location Name refers to the actual name of any Location codes you've setup in Buddy Punch. You can find this information by going to Settings --> Locations.
1c. Department Code Name & Department Code Payroll Code refers to the name or payroll code entered when creating Department Codes. We don't list the name of the Payroll Code on the Department Code page, so you will need click "Edit" next to the Department Code to either enter or find this information:
2. Once you've gotten your Department or Location codes setup, you will then need to create the pay rates and job titles to match these codes in Gusto.
In order to add multiple pay rates for hourly employees, please follow the below steps:
Click the People tab.
Click your employee’s name.
Navigate to the Job & Pay tab.
In the Compensation section, click Add Earning Type or Pay Rate.
Select the earning type or additional pay rate.
Next to Job Class Code, select the appropriate risk class code. Applicable only to those who have a workers' comp policy through Gusto - skip to step 7 otherwise.
Enter the pay rate.
Next to Default Hours per Pay Period, enter a default amount if applicable. This is required if you are using AutoPilot.
The first pay rate will now be titled Primary Position.
Once you've set up the pay rate, you can update the Job Title by clicking Edit next to the pay rate.
Please Note (Very important): The name of the job title is what needs to match what is found in Buddy Punch. For example, if an employee is working at Location X, then the job title in Gusto would need to be Location X. If an employee works at multiple locations, then you would need to set up multiple pay rates each with a corresponding Location or Department Code/Payroll Code.
Export/Import Gusto File
1. When you're ready to process payroll, you'll want to choose Reports in the top navigation followed by Payroll Export:
2. On the Payroll Export page, choose your pay period and click Run Report. Once data has populated for that pay period, you'll then want to choose Export followed by Gusto Format. The file will automatically begin to download:
3. You can now use the CSV upload feature in Gusto to upload your employees' hours for payroll processing:
Navigate to the Run Payroll tab and begin running a regular payroll.
Click Upload CSV in the upper right corner of the page.
Upload the file you downloaded from our system.
The second step is where you'll be able to enter time off earned. We recommend using the Hours Report by Time Off Report as it will provide a summary of the amount of time off taken over a selected timeframe.
You'd then take that information and enter it into Gusto and proceed with the remainder of the payroll process:
Q: Is the Gusto integration direct and automatic?
A: No, the Gusto export is done through an export/import process meaning you export a Gusto-specific file and then upload it into their system.